Thursday, May 30, 2013

How I Hug God

 
My daughter, Jannah, and her friend
 
 
Sometime ago, I envisioned myself hugging a room full of people, one by one.  Then I felt the need to hug everyone I came in contact with, rather in a room or out in the public.  After I completed my meditation session, I thought, “People are not open to complete strangers hugging them.”  Just like that, I talked myself out of it through my thinking because I was afraid of rejection, even though I had that deep desire.  I decided to just go with the flow and be available to the possibility of people accepting hugs from me.
Today, I trace all of the people I have hugged and thought about how natural and genuine it felt after just meeting and talking with them for a short period of time.  During random conversations a few times with “strangers” in a public place, I said, “Can I just give you a hug?”  Before I can finish my question, we were hugging. I realize that there will come a time when I will hug people just to be hugging them.  I am open to it now.  It’s amazing how if we just give a little opening to our hearts, God will do the rest. 

After meditating today, I realize that when I hug you, I am hugging God.  God works with us by working through us.  Every day, we are hugged by someone; that’s God hugging us.  Every day, someone touches our hand or our back, and we feel her support and her love.  Every day, people show us that they recognize the beauty in us that’s in them by smiling with us; this is how we are hugged by Divine Presence.

The movement of love is forever flourishing.  I invite you to recognize it with me by practicing to "hug" someone daily, and don’t forget about the people you may not know well or don’t know at all; because when we hug each other, we are exchanging the love of God—that phenomenal energy that elevates us to the unlimited capabilities and infinite capacities that are housed within us all.  I read today in Mary Manin Morrissey’s book, Building Your Field of Dreams:
There’s an old story about a nine-year-old boy who was the Keeper of the Seal under King Louis IV.  The boy was reverted as having great mystical powers, and one day the king went to him in the hope of finding out something that mattered greatly to him. “I will give you an orange,” said the king, “if you can tell me where I can find God.”
The Keeper of the Seal gazed at him for a moment and then responded, “I will give you two oranges if you can tell me where God is not.”


No comments: